We know that the best solutions come from our collaborative efforts.
Why Design-Build works
Awad + Koontz is a design-build firm that specializes in residential additions and remodels. Ali Awad oversees design, and Jim Koontz leads the construction process.
Having an architect and a builder on the same team is different from other project-management approaches that require a homeowner to handle separate contracts for design and construction. The design-build method offers a single source of accountability for the entire project.
At Awad + Koontz, Ali and Jim work together on every project. We address design and construction as a team. Having Jim’s perspective as a builder throughout the design process helps avoid potential problems before plans are finalized. Construction implications are discussed as design decisions are weighed, which helps streamline the schedule and keep costs in check. When changes come up, we’re able to adapt and be responsive in the field to ensure the best outcome for the homeowner.
Our process is transparent, so our clients know what to expect. The first step is an in-person meeting. We’ll meet at your house to discuss goals and budget and answer questions. There’s no cost for this initial meeting. After that, a typical project includes the following steps:
- Review and discuss project at your home
- Measure, photograph and draw your existing home
- Propose design alternatives (plans and/or elevations) and review with you
- Collect your feedback
- Revise and refine alternatives, and review with you
- Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 until right solution is reached (usually 2-4 cycles)
- Develop to Schematic Design level and estimate cost/timeline
- Develop construction drawings and project specifications
- Meet with and review project scope with trades people
- Assemble project cost, develop project contract
- Apply for Building Permit
- Schedule trades, order materials
- Visit project daily to guide the progress
- Communicate regularly with you